| elby CloneDVD™ 2 Before you begin|
Before you install elby CloneDVD™ 2 and start copying your first movie, you should consider a few things. Although you can watch a movie from a computer hard-drive using DVD playback software, the full functionality of elby CloneDVD™ 2 is not reached without a DVD-Writer. To copy and watch a movie in the best possible manner, you will not only need the right software, but also a DVD writer and DVD-Recordable media.
What you should know
Welcome to elby CloneDVD™ 2! You have chosen elby CloneDVD™ 2 to achieve impressive speed and image quality. Regardless of which copying software you use, you should know that the space available on DVD-Recordable media is much less than that on original DVD media. This is why elby CloneDVD™ 2 will compress your movie using a high-quality transcoding technology. The more original data there is, the more it has to be compressed to fit onto DVD-Recordable media. This means that you need to think carefully about copying the entire DVD, with all of its extras, or just the main movie and maybe some subtitles. For keeping an overview, elby CloneDVD™ 2 shows you the corresponding compression rate during the title and audio selection.
Please make sure before you start copying your first movie that you have bought the correct DVD-Recordable media for your DVD-Writer. Most DVD-Writers use only one kind of DVD format, i.e. the “minus” format: DVD-R/RW or the “plus” format: DVD+R/RW. Some DVD writers use only the RAM format which is incompatible with most set-top DVD players. Similarly, you should investigate which media (plus or minus formats) your set-top DVD player can actually play back! There are (often older) DVD players that can only recognise one kind of DVD-Recordable format. Many cheap ‘bundled’ DVD systems (player, receiver and speaker sets from major stores) cannot even recognise any form of burnt disc, CD-recordable or DVD-recordable! But, with elby CloneDVD™ 2, the recordable format does not matter. You only have to choose your DVD set-top compatible hardware!
NOTE: elby CloneDVD™ 2 does not backup copy-protected DVDs! Many DVDs are Content Scrambling System (CSS) encoded, which is a copy-protection file system. If a DVD is CSS-encoded then the DVD reader will refuse to access the disc. Therefore elby CloneDVD™ 2 cannot read the files and make a copy.
Every elby CloneDVD™ 2 dialogue window contains a “Help” Button which opens the Help Manual with one click. The program also contains context sensitive help:
We are always happy to assist you
- which is either accessed by clicking the right mouse button on a feature you do not understand. This opens a small pop-up window to explain the purpose of the particular feature
- or by clicking the left mouse button on the question mark in the upper right corner of each window. With the mouse pointer changing into a question mark, you can then click on the desired feature to open a small pop-up window explaining the purpose of the particular feature
If you have technical questions, that are not explained in the Help Manual, please contact our Technical Support
There are only a few simple steps involved to install elby CloneDVD™ 2 before starting to copy your movies:
- Start up your computer
- If you use Windows NT/2000/XP please verify that you are logged on as “Administrator” before installing the program
- Insert the elby CloneDVD™ 2 installation disc into your CD-Reader and follow the on-screen instructions
- If the installation process does not start immediately, open your desktop folder “My Computer” and double click on your CD Reader icon, marked as elby CloneDVD™ 2. Double click on the file SETUP.EXE and follow the on-screen instructions
- elby CloneDVD™ 2 automatically recognises your Windows regional settings and begins to install accordingly
- You will be asked to enter a Registration Key. Your personal Registration Key is printed on the covercard included